How one chicken spoilt a whole village Christmas celebration

Usually every xmas we would buy a hen like 4 months before Dec and brood it till 24th then have it slaughtered.often we would buy it at 0.5kg and feed it to the fullest by Dec the chick would weigh a hooping 6kg or at best 10kg
So in August 2003 my mum was set for this usual ritual...she set up a better price with a supplier who brought us this beautiful hen at a good price.It was always my responsibility to give out some African magic style of putting cooking stick and a few other stuff on the door for the new chicken to step over.this we believed made the chicken always find a way back home every evening.
But this chicken was a different one...the whole night she would remain calm and coiled at mums feet...she was tender sweet and yummy I have never seen a chicken that would stay til late night with us to have dinner.
We decided that this was unusal behaviour so we named her "supu" simply to mean the beautiful **soup**.
Supu would wake up everymorning and take our usual black tea she would bite bread and drink tea...when lunch time came she would hover around the
house until we dished out some rice for her to peck...one most unusual behavior supu would always run towards my mom every evening when mom was from work and mom knew what she wanted...rice....so she would carry some rice in her bag and throw it for supu...every night and week this was the norm.
Come December we all knew that the hardest part of the month had come for us...to decide whether we were going to slaughter supu for Xmas.Being the only man in the house I was given the mantle of slaying the chicken and defeathering....my sister Grace Adhiambo was given the duty of operating it and roasting it and then mum was always at... it making the best soup out of it for xmas.
This xmas we were all disturbed supu looked dull and never jumped as she does..may be she knew the time had come for the knife.So on 23rd we passed a bill that we had rared this piece of meal for 4 months and that we must slaughter her.In my escapade I had secretly weighed "supu" she had a whooping 12kg and there was no way I was going to wait for this xmas.
Days rolled...hours counted and seconds ticked...morning of 25th Dec we would make sure the supu doesn't go out...i would take the chicken and tie it's leg or put a big wreck (osewe) over it go to church come back and slaughter it.A duty I was we prepared to take on supu.
We went to usual Nazarene Church came back and I was so happy tht the day had finally come...in new clothes and shoes I quickly folded my attire and headed for the slaughter.
Alas.
Supu was there her green tearful eyes staring at me...she had some cold shoulder to show me ofcos and looked straight in my eye.i must have lost the courage as I lifted her slowly on my arms for slaughter where I had laid some leaves and prepared a dish to take some blood on a bowl...who doesn't like it?
Shocked I was.
After whole of these 4 months without laying eggs this Dec supu had decided to lay eggs.What was happening sunk my world and I had to deliver this news to mum and sister and our neighbour Irene Anyango that supu had laid eggs.
We all ran to the scene and a small *kamkunji* was arranged where we repealed section 2A of our xmas bill and replaced it with a few option.
Supu had escaped the knife in a swift way...she laid 18eggs and hutched all of them.Having over 18 chicks to take care of was the best job our family had.we built them a homestead and that was the beginning of the love my family had with chicken...by 2014 we had a total of over 45 kienyeji chicken all descendants of *supu* we stopped slaughtering chicken and started raring them.
Sad news supu life was ended shortly one evening as she was crossing the road on August 8th 2014
Whatever sent the hen across the road